Elderberries sudden popularity surge has exposed an extreme lack of elderberry recipes. Check out my elderberry recipes here, or create your own! Knowing what elderberry pairs well with can inspire more elderberry recipes to be written. The elderberry cooking world is filled with experimentation and finding flavors that can play off one another in very unusual ways. Create a new elderberry recipe by noticing proportions of other recipes and knowing what elderberry pairs well with. Although elderberry is a bit similar in flavor to some other berries it does not necessarily dance well with the same partners as other berries. Elderberry is easily recognized as a berry flavor and has a sweet-tart like taste with earthy undertones. Expand and redirect with that flavor in mind. Some flavor combinations just do not work with elderberry, here are a few that do work.
Elderberry Pairs Well With
- Lemon - good to add to elderberry to not only kick up, but to change/redirect the elderberry tartness just a bit.
- Apple - whole or as juice/cider these flavors are just great together.
- Peach - peach is quite a strong flavor but when paired with elderberry the elderberry hits you first with the familiar peach ending.
- Pear - a mild flavor, the elderberry can easily overwhelm, add sparingly if you want to keep any of the pear flavor.
- Plum - a heavy flavor that is brightened by elderberry.
- Honey- can be used to smooth tartness of elderberry, use sparingly or the honey will overwhelm.
Spices to add to your elderberry recipe
- Star Anise - adds a licorice like taste
This is by no means an extensive list just a few ideas to get you started. The elderberry recipe world is wide open, jump on in and create a signature elderberry recipe of your very own!
The Best Dried Elderberries to start recipe, HERE
Fresh elderberry can be had during a short window in late July or early August.
*It is usually a good idea to cook elderberry before consuming, the exception is wine and vinegar. Raw elderberry is slightly toxic, meaning it can cause a tummy ache, cooking boils off toxin making it perfectly safe.